Credit by Examination
Credit by examination will be recognized by Quinebaug Valley Community College when applicable to the degree or certificate program in which a student is enrolled. Semester hours of credit earned by examinations are assigned with a "TR" notation on the transcript. No quality points are earned. The student's GPA is not affected.
- External Examinations
- Degree credit will be granted on the basis of scores on the Advanced Placement Examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). Students who earn scores of 3 or higher receive credit for the courses for which the examinations are stipulated as measures.
- QVCC will accept all College Level Examination Program (CLEP) General and Subject Examinations, awarding credit for scores earned according to current CLEP guidelines. Contact the Learning and Student Development Office for details.
- QVCC will accept DANTES test results, awarding credit for scores earned according to ACE guidelines.
- College-sponsored Examinations
- A student may, on the basis of previous study and experience, take a special examination for credit for some approved QVCC course without having enrolled in those courses. Exams may be offered at the discretion of individual faculty members.
- The student pays a $15 academic evaluation fee in advance for each examination. Students will not be permitted to earn credit by examination in a course for which they have already received a grade. Students must register for these examinations in advance in the College Learning Center. Credits earned in this manner are not guaranteed transferable.