Library Survey - 2011 - Results
Results of the 2011 Online Library Survey.
This survey has had 95 responses so far.
|Students from Danielson:||38||40%|
|Students from Willimantic:||9||9%|
|Middle College Students:||4||4%|
How often do they use the library:
|There's a library?||3||3%|
What resources do you use from off-campus:
|Internet Sites by Subject||15%|
Use a mobiles device for research?
How satisfied are you:
How often do you:
|Check out books:||14%||35%||32%||18%|
|Use library databases:||23%||49%||18%||10%|
|Write a paper:||29%||30%||14%||28%|
|Study by myself:||30%||32%||12%||26%|
|Work on group projects:||6%||32%||31%||31%|
|Check e-mail / Facebook:||31%||23%||10%||36%|
How satisfied are you with each of the following:
|Very Satisfied||Satisfied||Dissatisfied||Very Dissatisfied||n/a|
|Variety of books/e-books:||37%||46%||6%||1%||10%|
|Materials for assignments:||33%||38%||2%||0%||27%|
|Availability of computers:||44%||44%||3%||0%||10%|
|Library training sessions:||53%||25%||0%||0%||23%|
|Quiet study areas:||45%||0%||22%||8%||25%|
|Group study places:||25%||40%||3%||2%||30%|
|Hours of operation:||78%||0%||10%||4%||8%|
What's important to you:
- The people (for real); always personable, friendly, and helpful
- All Kinds Of Help!!!!
- Books and online databases
- Library research instruction
- The knowledge, commitment and dedication of those who work in the Library.
- Professional and enthusiastic librarians.
- Friendly and helpful staff :)
- Advice on book selection and stimulating conversations.
- The friendly, courteous, spunky staff!
- Helpful librarians
- Computers that don't log out every 15 minutes
- A multitude of resources for students to use to complete their assignments, for fun, for personal enjoyment as well as an informed, intelligent, and engaging staff to help everyone who enters the library doors.
- Access to information that you cant get easily in town libraries.
- The people who work there!
- Staff. Really -- they make the library. This sounds like piling it on -- but it is true. Good group.
- Helpful staff
- The freedom to learn and the resources to do so.
- The incredibly helpful, welcoming, friendly, and knowledgeable staff!!
- Michael L
- I think it is the ability to use the computers to do research and use the library for resources we may neeed to complete a task.
- I believe it is the people that provide such wonderful concern and assistance to everyone that uses it.
- I think the databases with quality peer-reviewed journal articles are a wonderful resource. I'd like to see students encouraged to use them more.
- The library staff
- The willingness of the librarians to help and the undivided attention they give you!
- The computers
- Learning Center
- a place to be studious
- An extremely courteous, helpful staff
- The ability to speak and group workings.
- The availability of computers so that I can work on online assignments and messages on blackboard from fellow students.
- Variety of teaching tools in terms of books, DVD's, and audio visual equipment support. You all provide lots of flexibility borrowing tv's and computers and deliver it all with a smile.
- Great Faculty!!!
- QVCC has offered lots of books.
- A place to learn after classes, the tutors are exceptional and a QVCC trademark!
- Tutors and teachers
- the number od tutors available
- It's very useful for tutoring
- The amazing staff :)
- sanctuary...a place to discover...the people...to vent...to luagh...cake...I know this not 'the single most valuable thing'...so I will say ALL OF YOU!
- The study rooms. Even though there are only two rooms there is usually always one available.
- Space for studying with groups or with friends.
- The ebrary is SO helpful. I love having so many entire books to flip through while sitting at home. It is indispensable to my research and makes it so much faster than having to take out print books.
- The E Book database is great. I also like the extensive movie collection, and inter-library loan option.
- The library most valuable thing that it has offered me is that it is here.
- In my opinion i think that the computers.
- the friendly staff :)
- EXCEPTIONAL "customer" service, especially as I am not a student (though I have plenty of "homework" from my jobs) & I have never taken a computer course (yet). An outstanding example was being called on a snowy day to tell me the Library was closing. I've used interlibrary loan twice, not a service I'd expect to be offered to a community user. And when I need to know how the Red Sox are doing, expert help is at hand!
- The warm welcome by the librarians.
- The most valuable part about the library is its ease of use and availibility. I regularly can count on the library to be availible so that I can come in and use the printer and photocopier, as I do not have those at home. Of course, I also can sit at a computer at any time and do work that I do not want to do later here in an easily accessible spot.
- Books. More books
- Online database
- a place to study and do the research needed for projects and class assignments
- Computer and the little quite space in the back and cool periadicals
- The online e-books.
- I like how there is always someone to help you when you need it.
- Knowledgeable and welcoming staff
- The staff, the people.
- journal databases and interlibrary loan
- The experienced help of the wonderful librarians <3
- I feel that the access to wealth of information that website you host has to offer is amazing.
- Support for the academic agenda of the various programs
- Michael's expertise
- The possibility of broadening my knowledge of the world and beyond.
- The LIBRARY STAFF!!!
- Helpful staff, and a good variety of resources
- Advice on numerous topics, not just library stuff. You are very helpful with directing students.
- Well informed. dedicated, helpful staff.
"More modern lighting." (Hmmm . . . Dimmers and track lighting would be nice.)
"textbooks" (Sorry. We can't aford to buy textbooks. They're too expensive and go out of date too quickly.)
"Personally, a large monitor for photo & video editing. -27" imac preferably-" (Have you seen the "Flock" computer? It has a 36" monitor and Adobe Premiere.)
"All I would suggest is maybe having a book club of some sorts for the school it would be very good for are learning environment here at QVCC." (Not a bad idea!)
"Give it more money and space" (We are working on a library expansion.)
"Snacks" (Only if you folks clean up after yourselves.)
"Candy machine." (Sushi machine?)
"A fully independant website." (Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose.)
"I'm not fond of ebooks, I hope that the print section of the library won't be sacrificed to the gods of cyberspace." (Hopefully not but these are the gods of both cyberspace AND budgets.)
"Have some board games on hand, and maybe some playing cards. Folks need to interact with each other instead of computers, and the library might get them thinking about it if the items are at hand." (Actually students are bringing their own games. Card games mostly.)
"None. I really enjoy seeing the number of studetns that use the library. It has become a very active and vibrant place. " (Thank you.)
"It's incredible to me to find so fine a library at QVCC. Given the resources allocated to you and the demands made on you, I can't imagine how you could possibly do better. " (How about library uniforms?)
"More books" (Yes!)
"More books" (Yes! Yes!)
"Larger DVD selection." (Larger DVDs? Are these like large print versions of normal books?)
"Nothing. Thanks!" (You're welcome.)
"A parrot!!!" (Polly want a diversion?)
"Make it bigger. Give it more money. Subscribe to MLA database." (We're trying to make it bigger. More money? Probably not so much.)
"None" (Very zen-like.)
"How about resident pet cat." (Maybe a non-resident pet cat!)
"Earlier hours" (Currently we are open earlier than we say we are. By 8:30 usually.)
"Fish tanks and gerbils." (I'm not sure gerbils can swim??)
"Open earlier during semesters before classes begin for the day." (If only we could with the staff we have. With classes starting now at 8:00 many mornings we really need to be increasing staffing rather than more than likely reducing staff.)
"Keep building the database, ebook and DVD collections." (As long as there is the money.)
"I hope the planned expansion of the Willimantic Learning Center/Library goes thru...it is desperate need of that!" (So do we. Have you heard anything?)
"Cookies and cupcakes" (We often envision a gourmet cupcake bar with great coffee out on the library balcony. Oh well . . .)
"Add more computers and more quiet study places " (Hopefully with the library expanding we will be able to do both. Stay tuned.)
"Nothing ~ however, I would (again since I suggested it last year) suggest that there be a separate section of questions that pertain to faculty. The questions are geared to 'round up' responses from the cowpokes and wranglers not the ranchers :) " (Please come in and talk to us about the kinds of questions you think we should be including.)
"I think the noise level gets a little unbearable at times but i understand with all the younger adults from the middle school its understandable. " (It does get pretty loud at times - yesterday there was a particuarly loud game of Uno going on. All college students by the way.)
"Good the way it is . If it's not broke, don't fix it." (As long as we all don't go broke.)
"I would love to see a larger, more comfortable designated "Quiet Area". I would also like to see the library open earlier in the morning." (The bay window in the current quiet studt area is pretty nice. We hear you althouh truthfully we don't see you that much. When we open up most days at 8:30 there's maybe one student waiting. Maybe if we advertised?)
"Putting windows 7 on the computers in the library. " (Getting there. We've got 7 new machines waiting to in. Then we'll just have to see how well the other older machines wil do with 7.)
"Not letting the Middle College kids just hang around in there. They are very loud and don't do anything when they are in there. They take up the computers just to take pictures." (Truth be told - and we've been watching this closely - our QV students are just as loud, and probably louder, in groups than the average middle college student group. Both groups go a bit too far from time to time - and each is annoying in their own way. The average Middle College student probably does spend more time doing just FaceBook than the average QV student. But not by much.)
"More room in Willimantic" (We're hopeful.)
"Quiet things down, sometimes staff is too chatty amongst themselves and they can get a little on the boisterous side, sometimes the groups of students can get loud. It becomes hard to concentrate on what I'm attempting to accomplish, unable to concentrate at times. Taking midterms in thelibrary can be a frustrating exercise." (For the staff noise we apologize. We should do a better job with this. For the student noise the real problem is that the library is currently too small with folks just too close together. AS far as your midterms go are you aware that there are 2 quiet study rooms across friom the library, a quiet study area in the back of the library, and in the Learning Center there is a dedicated testing room?)
"Impose traditional "library quiet" rules. I have never been in such a noisey library. Not conducive to serious study or research at all. I am not refering to the "instructional classes" held, but the loud personal conversations, laughter and cell calls that go on. " (We aren't a 'traditional' library. We're a teaching library. Years ago when we were more 'traditional' we were indeed quieter. Unfortunetly we also had far fewer students actually using the library. Noise for students seemed like a good trade off.)
"a live pet" (Probably far better than a 'dead' pet.)
"A live pet. (i.e. cat)" (Do you folks know each other?)
"None that come to mind." (Keep thinking.)
"Open on friday afternoons and extended saturday hours" (Again, sounds good, would probably be somewhat hard to implement, and lastly we don't actually see many students here on Friday afternoons or after 2:00 on Saturdays.)
"I need to give Amy more book suggestions so I have more materials to work with. But this is me - not you ;)" (We'll let her know. Keep the suggestions coming.)
"A quite room.. I have to go to eastern's library to study because it is too noisy in our library!!" (Remember - quiet study rooms across the hall, quiet study area in the back of the library.)
"At the Willimantic Center I would suggest improving the space, the library it too small." (It is too small and the powers that be are desperately trying to expand both the library and the Willimantic Center)
"I would suggest that there should be more books for students to check out and it should be less noisy. " (What kinfs of books are you looking for? We do have almost 30,000 books now - and 50,000 e-books.)
"Nothing it is perfect" (Thanks)
"Keep it exactly the same, no changes (especially with the budget cut coming...please keep it the same, I would be lost without these guys)" (There will always be change.)
"More space, more tables." (First we need more room.)
"The library is very great" (Thank you very much.)
"The library needs newer updated computers" (We do. Both here and in Willimantic. We did just buy 7 new PC's and 4 new iMacs but we still need more.)
"It would be really good to have tables with outlets on them for charging of laptop computers." (There's no easy way to provide power to tables that aren't adjacent to a wall. Did you know that all the carols in the quiet study are have power?)
"People are starting to using the library as a hangout. It makes it hard to study when people are being loud. The library staff should enforce students to use another area to hangout. the library is meant to be a quiet place to study" (Actually, our primary role is to be a teaching library - we instruct students in research and help them as needs be. Some students are using the library as a hang-out these days but there are worse places where they could be hanging out.)
"Keep people like me out?" (Eric, is that you?)
"If there were a quiet area where computers were also available. I am very easily distracted and have trouble re-focusing when my attention is brought to others." (We've talked about this but decided that if we put computers in the quiet studey area the chance were that it would cease being quiet. You can take a laptop over there.)
"The library is often crowded and noisy because of groups of kids socializing. While it is a nice place for groups to meet, I think those of us there to do work would benefit from some kind of encouragement to socialize elsewhere. Also, during busy times of the day almost all the computers are usually taken, but even if there are a few open I tend not to use them because I hate being crammed in between other people, and that area can be pretty tightly packed. Maybe if social networking were discouraged on a certain number of computer there would be more space to do computer work. " (Well remember that these kids are also our students and that due to space constraints within the college as a whole there really aren't many good spaces for them to be so we are very reluctant to ask anyone to leave. Our classroom area is somewhat cramped but again we hope to do better if we’re given more space. In the mean time we need to have 24 computers in there to be able to teach classes of at least that many. Discourage social networking? Not so easy to do for many reasons.)
"I could make statements about space and noise, but I think you've heard them all and I know that improvements are in the works that will hopefully give us all some room. I wish you luck in getting the improvements you're trying for! " (We hope so. We're really hopeful that more space might help with the noise issue we keep talking about.)
"Sometimes it seems as though the library is more for hanging out then studying and research. Even the quiet study area can be noisy at times. I often do much of my work in the Learning Center for this reason." (Yes.)
"There are often times when I have to leave the library in order to study or get work done due to the noise." (Even in the quiet study area?)
"Nothing really. I like the library.." (Thanks.)
"Nothing, its awesome" (Thanks again.)
"Re my "Satisfied's" above: when I take the time to use the online catalog, then it's helpful. Most of the treasures (for me or for running a local museum) that I've found in the book collection, I've found by poking along the shelves in key areas - because I'm looking for atypical items. I would like to have a few more computers for non-students but certainly I understand space & money issues (after all, I work in 2 museums & 1 church). I have a hard time concentrating in general but I think it's only been once in at least 7 years here that I've asked for less noise nearby. And it's great being around the folks here - they help me feeling young!" (Thanks again again.)
"Individual work rooms" (There are two. That's all they made space for in the last go-round of construction.)
"As far as the space allows, the library is fantastic." (Hopefully with more space we'll get even better.)
"More books. Science." (More books = more money / space constraints X student interest.)
"Haven't had a problem yet" (Give it time.)
"Continuing outreach efforts" (What about the inner self?)
"longer hours" (Maybe 67 minutes?)